tonight...

by

was a special night for me.
i sat outside in the backyard in the dark hoping to see something special. there was a meteor shower...i didn't see any. but i still stayed outside for a long time. i sat there in the dark with penny. she kept hopping up to lick my toes...my feet were up so she had to hop up to reach them:) she was making sleepy sounds, i think i kept her up past her bedtime:)
my mom and dad sat with me for a while. i loved it. my dad told me that the stars twinkling, they are not really twinkling, they are shivering because it is cold up there:) they went in after some time and it was just penny, mufasa, and me again. they ran off to play and i just sat. i looked out at the many silhouettes. the stars were multiplying, or so it seemed. i just waited and waited and nothing...and finally i saw it. no meteor anything, just a simple shooting star. i think if you sit out for long enough, you will see one;)
i went in to grab music and listened a long while. i looked up at the open sky, it is so vast. and it just sort of caused me to cry for a bit. good tears. i got up and danced with penny. i think if she could have, she would have laughed at me...a lot. so i am glad she can't. i sang to her because she came and sat next to me. i sang to her about sailing to the moon and i think she liked it...she fell asleep:) the moon was invisible but imagine what it would be like to sail to the moon. it made me think of treasure planet. love that movie.
i thought about lovely things tonight. it was something about the open sky maybe. or penny sleeping next to me maybe. or the music maybe. i don't know what, but it was good. things i had hidden away in my heart...old things, new things...just came pouring out. i felt ready to go in.
when i came into my room, there was a roll of beautiful wrapping paper on my bed just screaming to be used. normally i wouldn't even think to do something so late, but i did. i wrapped away and am keeping the scraps...they are too nice to toss:)
no magic in the sky...that one shooting star. but it was magic nonetheless. today is a new day.
wouldn't it HAVE been nice?...:)